Cookies are files that can be downloaded to your computer through the web pages. They are tools that are essential for the provision of many services of the information society role. Among others, allow a website to store and retrieve information about browsing habits of a user or your computer, depending on the information obtained can be used to recognize the user and improve the service offered.
Types of cookies:
Depending on who is the entity that manages the domain from which cookies are sent and treat data obtained can distinguish two types: own cookies and third party cookies.
- Own Cookies: These are those that are sent to the terminal user's computer from a computer or domain managed by the editor itself and from which the service requested by the user is provided.
- Third Party Cookies: those that are sent to the terminal user's computer from a computer or domain that is not managed by the editor, but by another entity that is data obtained through cookies.
There is also a second classification according to the length of time remain stored in the client browser and can be session cookies or persistent cookies.
- Session Cookies: These are a type of cookies designed to collect and store data while the user accesses a web page. They are often used to store information only interested in preserving for the service requested by the user on a single occasion (b.p. a list of products purchased).
- Persistent Cookies: Cookies are a type in which the data is still stored in the terminal and can be accessed and treated for a defined by the head of the cookie, and you can go a few minutes to several years period.
Finally, there is another classification with five types of cookies depending on the purpose for which the data are processed: Technical cookies, cookies customization, analysis cookies, cookies advertising and behavioral advertising cookies.
- Technical Cookies: These are those that allow the user to navigate through a website, platform or application and use of different options or services it exist as, for example, control traffic and data communication, identify the session, access parts of restricted access, remember the elements of an order, make the buying process an order, make the request for registration or participation in an event, use security features while browsing store content for broadcast video or sound or share content via social networks.
- Cookies Customization: those that allow the user to access the service with some features of a general nature predefined depending on a number of criteria in the user terminal such as would be the language, type of browser through which access to service, the locale from which you access the service, etc.
- Cookies analysis: those that allow the responsible therefor, monitoring and analyzing the behavior of users of the websites to which they are linked. The information gathered through such cookies is used in measuring the activity of web, application or platform sites and profiling of user navigation of such sites, applications and platforms, in order to make improvements in based on analysis of usage data that the users of the service.
- Advertising Cookies: These are those that enable the management, the most efficient way of advertising spaces, where appropriate, the editor has included on a website, application or platform from providing the requested service based on criteria such as the edited content or the frequency in which ads are displayed.
- Cookies behavioral advertising: they are those that enable the management, the most efficient way of advertising spaces, where appropriate, the editor has included on a website, application or platform from providing the requested service. These cookies store information on user behavior obtained through continued observing their browsing habits, allowing to develop a specific profile to display ads based on the same.